MAIENZA (Food based multipurpose household cleaner & deodorizer)
Developed by Yoshiaki Sokabe in Japan around 2001.
Useful for kitchen, bathroom, living room, ceiling - wall - floor, windows, tile, glass, mirror, sink, bath tub, pots and pans, appliances.... more. and also excellent as deodorizer: Kitchen waste, pet odor, urine odor & more. Home Made MAIENZA
Yield 500ml (~16 oz.)
- 25g / 1 generous tablespoon Yogurt (soy / cow)
- 5g / 1 + 1/4 teaspoon Yeast
- 10g / 1tablespoon Sugar
- 1 piece Natto*
- 200ml Water (104F warm )
* Natto are fermented soy beans, often sold in Japanese or Korean markets. Use only 1 natto bean per 500ml. The remaining beans can be frozen for later use (or share with a group if you are only buying it for this purpose).
1 In the glass or plastic jar, combine yeast and sugar, mix well and add yogurt.
2 In a small bowl, put 1 natto bean. Add 200ml 104F warm water to make solution (with natto culture).
3 Immediately pour the solution (only the liquid, NOT the natto bean) into the sugar/yeast/yogurt mixture, and quickly mix.
4 Begin fermentation immediately. Loosely attach the lid (Do NOT close the lid) and let this mixture ferment for 24 hours. Mixture should maintain a temperature fom 98F to 104F.
I put the jar in a sunny spot during this time of the season, but the temperature will drop during the night, so I put the jar under the sun again the next day to complete. How do you know the fermentation has completed?
- No more bubbles coming up
- The color is clear (sediment-protein from yogurt falls to the bottom of the jar)
- Smells sour
- Lick it and taste slightly sour (should have a PH of 3.5)
5 Slowly transfer only the clear liquid (no sediment) to another 500ml jar or bottle and add 300 ml water.
You can store ~3 months in a cool dark place. The surface will collect a whitish appearance due to the natto culture. It can be mixed in or be removed.
6 In the several spray bottles, (this is what i do ) make one for undiluted MAIENZA, one for 8-10 times solution for the different purpose.
Use a solution of 1 part MAIENZA to 8-10 parts water for wiping the table, counter top, daily/weekly, clean up, dish washing.
Use undiluted for tough work, surfaces with old dirt, & oily stuff.
How else to use is up to you.
I hope you make it , use it and like it !
- 01 Jul 2011